I know y'all know I love pizza. I'm just a cheese and bread type of woman and this covers those bases for me. I've always loved pizza. I remember asking my dad to take me for pizza every Friday as a kid. I knew the people at Pizza Hut by first name. I even skipped class in high school with my friends to eat the buffet at a mom & pop pizza joint in my hometown. I love a good pizza.
This pizza is for grown-ups. Kids will love it, but it's made for adults who like to sit around naked and eat Chinese Food. I'm currently bumping Kendrick Lamar's Poetic Justice as I type this thinking of the days that I used to sneak and smoke weed in college. If I had this pizza on those nights, I wouldn't have been stuffing my face with Dunkin' Donuts.
- Pizza Dough, recipe here
- 1 c. Milk
- 8 oz. String Cheese
- 8 oz. Mozzarella, sliced
- 6 oz. Fontina, shredded
- 4 oz. Ricotta
- 4 oz. Pancetta, cooked
- 2 oz. Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. Basil, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Butter, unsalted
- 2 Tbsp. All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- Make pizza dough and set aside. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- To make the pizza sauce, heat milk in a small saucepan until it begins to simmer then remove.
- In another saucepan, using medium-low heat, melt butter until melted.
- Add flour and whisk until smooth. Cook the raw flour "taste" out for 1-2 minutes... remember to stir.
- Increase the heat to medium then add the warm milk slowly then add salt, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Make sure you are whisking as you add the milk.
- Cook the sauce mixture until thickened. Make sure you stir to avoid the bottom burning. Remove from heat.
- Place string cheese on the edge of pizza crust, roll and tuck. Avoid leaving any open pockets.
- Top dough with pizza sauce, mozzarella, fontina, ricotta, pancetta and mushrooms.
- Bake for 12 minute or until the crust is bubbly and golden brown in spots.
- Remove from the oven and top with chopped parsley and basil.